Rookie UDFA Question - Stocker, Luke TBB TE 3yrs

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
Georgia Punishers
Rookie
Favorite NFL Team: Minnesota Vikings
Team Name: Georgia Punishers

Rookie UDFA Question - Stocker, Luke TBB TE 3yrs

Post by Georgia Punishers » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:51 am

after dropping rookie Kris Durham WR SEA I would like to adjust rookie Luke Stockers contract to 3yrs please.

The Punishers look forward to a long relationship with Mr. Stocker and hope he can help bring home a Championship in the near future....

bonesman
League Champion*

Re: Stocker, Luke TBB TE 3yrs

Post by bonesman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 am

# All Players acquired in Free Agency will be given a default contract of 1 year, if you would like a longer contract, you must submit the contract within 24 hours of the signing, you may do this by adding comments to the transaction or by posting on the league message board.

bonscott
Hall of Famer
Favorite NFL Team: Chicago Bears
Team Name: Amish Rakefighters

Post by bonscott » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:42 am

This is true but I think Stocker is a rookie and if so his contract can be adjusted up to cut down day in a couple weeks.
Scott

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

No... rookies acquired through free agency bidding are treated as free agents.

Correct me if I'm wrong though... just looked through the constitution real quick and there's no verbiage that states that.

Georgia Punishers
Rookie

Post by Georgia Punishers » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Comish ruling???

or is my only option to give him a larger contract to drop him and win him through the bidding process again??

bonscott
Hall of Famer
Favorite NFL Team: Chicago Bears
Team Name: Amish Rakefighters

Post by bonscott » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:43 am

bonesman wrote:No... rookies acquired through free agency bidding are treated as free agents.

Correct me if I'm wrong though... just looked through the constitution real quick and there's no verbiage that states that.
Gray area. I think in the past it was supposed to be that any rookies acquired thru the auction went under auction rules BUT I don't think it's ever been enforced and sorta molded into a "all rookies can be assigned contracts up to the deadline" but I don't actually do that so yea, we'll need a commish ruling.
Scott

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 am

3rd sunday in August 11:59pm PT teams must declare contract years for all rookies drafted in May.
# All Players acquired in Free Agency will be given a default contract of 1 year, if you would like a longer contract, you must submit the contract within 24 hours of the signing, you may do this by adding comments to the transaction or by posting on the league message board.
Between these two sections in the constitution it seems to cover it, I couldn't find where it implies or suggests that you can declare rookie UDFA after the 24 hour window. Its not specifically spelled out and if anyone has an example of the contrary let me know. Its certainly possible but I don't remember it coming up.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Georgia Punishers
Rookie

Re: Rookie UDFA Question - Stocker, Luke TBB TE 3yrs

Post by Georgia Punishers » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:23 am

sooooo, can I adjust Stockers contract or is he bound by UDFA rules rather than rookie rules? Just need to know for sure so I can determine what I'm gonna do...

Thanks,
Punishers

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Re: Rookie UDFA Question - Stocker, Luke TBB TE 3yrs

Post by braven112 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:04 am

If you didn't draft him then he doesn't get any special treatment in terms of when you can set his contract length but he is still eligible for the practice squad. So if you want him for longer you'll want to drop him and then resign him and then post within 24 hours how many years you want him for.

I'll add a line to the constitution so its more clear.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...