Free Agent Bidding

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
yugimoto
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Tennessee Titans
Team Name: Dark Magicians of Chaos

Free Agent Bidding

Post by yugimoto » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Commish,

Last season we had a lot of discussion around the bidding process associated with last year's auction draft. I seem to recall a lot of discussion associated with owners being frustrated with the bid timer resetting anytime someone bid on a player even though it was not the highest bid on a player. Comments about "bumping" players to keep them on the board.

This season for the free agent bidding are we still planning to have the bidding like last season or will it be changed so that the bid timer will only reset if a bid made results in becoming the new highest bid?

Just wanting to avoid any confusion prior to the FA season opening up :)

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Re: Free Agent Bidding

Post by braven112 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:26 pm

yugimoto wrote: This season for the free agent bidding are we still planning to have the bidding like last season or will it be changed so that the bid timer will only reset if a bid made results in becoming the new highest bid?
It will change every time a bid results in a new "high bidder".

IIRC we ended up changing it at some point last year so that the timer only reset if a bid caused the person to become the new "high bidder" as opposed to having it change on every bid like we initially had it.

Hopefully that makes sense?
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

bonscott
Hall of Famer
Favorite NFL Team: Chicago Bears
Team Name: Amish Rakefighters

Post by bonscott » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:44 am

braven112 wrote: IIRC we ended up changing it at some point last year so that the timer only reset if a bid caused the person to become the new "high bidder" as opposed to having it change on every bid like we initially had it.
I think that change was made after the initial auction was done (early June?). After that the rest of the summer it was so that the timer only reset if a new high bid was set.
Scott

yugimoto
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Tennessee Titans
Team Name: Dark Magicians of Chaos

Post by yugimoto » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:38 am

braven112 wrote:
yugimoto wrote: This season for the free agent bidding are we still planning to have the bidding like last season or will it be changed so that the bid timer will only reset if a bid made results in becoming the new highest bid?
It will change every time a bid results in a new "high bidder".

IIRC we ended up changing it at some point last year so that the timer only reset if a bid caused the person to become the new "high bidder" as opposed to having it change on every bid like we initially had it.

Hopefully that makes sense?
It does. Thank you. One additional question (apologies I know I have been asking a lot lately) ... will the timer still be 36 hours? I seem to recall in the past thread as well that if we went to this method of bidding the timer might be increased to 48 hours. I could be "misremembering" (ala Mr. Roger Clemens) , but just wanted to check. Either is fine with me.

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:28 pm

It's still set to 36 hours.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Dangerzone
Rookie

Post by Dangerzone » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:27 pm

I am not sure there is a reason to raise it to 48 hrs.....I am sure everyone can check in once in 3 days...cant they? 48 hrs would be like eternity.