Contract Years For Tagged Players

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
Cybergeek
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Philadelphia Eagles
Team Name: Gridiron Geeks

Re: Contract Years For Tagged Players

Post by Cybergeek » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:56 pm

bonesman wrote:
Achon44 wrote:Looks like Geeks idea just picked up another vote.
big proponent of the 48 hr clock :sweet:
Haven't you read the Tag Sniping thread in the New League Ideas forum? It has already been decided that "it doesn't add anything" and "it doesn't add anything "fun" to the process". :stirpot:

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:25 pm

Achon44 wrote:The idea of tagging is for the team who owns the player to be able to keep that player, but they have to pay a premium. It's not let's see how many players can be signed by other teams...that's free agency.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Wascawy Wabbits wrote:
Cybergeek wrote:Of course the answer could be that the snipe is so ingrained as part of the league identity that ownership doesn't want to change it. If the timing of the deadline is an issue for east coasters, perhaps it could be arranged so that the deadline occurs on a Saturday.
:2cents:
I think this may end up becoming a new thing after the the change was implemented last off-season. The cost of the Franchise tag went up, the transition tag lost it's compensation, and the cost of the RFA tag went down.

I think last year was the first time (at least since I joined) that there were bids submitted as late as they were (on Lynch)
Wabbits hit the nail on the head. We really don't know how's things are going to change but the summary seems very possible.

There have been some pretty simple changes like moving the end time to something where we can all
be online. Moving it to a weekend. Both of those are easy changes.

Before I'm ready to overhaul anything I'd like to see if a simple change or two would solve the same problem. For me BTP's post above is what I remind myself before considering any rule change on this topic.

The way i look at it is the original owner already made a bid. I don't think we need to figure out a bunch of ways for a 3rd or 4th team to drive up the price after they chose not to the past week. If you are only in it to drive up the price you can do that all week and hope someone outbids you or that the original owner matches.

What does a snipe get you? This isn't eBay where your win the bid. The player isn't yours. The original owner can and will match any lowball offer and then can trade the player, like what happened last year. I don't think that was an outlier.

I think the smart money is to view this as beginning of a trade negotiation. One side is offering cap space to use in free agency and/or draft pick(s). The other, a marquee player.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Cybergeek
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Philadelphia Eagles
Team Name: Gridiron Geeks

Post by Cybergeek » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:38 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the systems in place. If the current rules remain the same, I for one, would be perfectly happy. There were just some discussion and ideas exchanged in a few threads where some aspects of the rules were brought up.

One of the things I like about this league is that the rules can be discussed and sometimes altered when enough support is shown. When I join a league, I believe in being active and involved. In that spirit, I offer my opinions and when a topic is raised I may post an idea that the league may or may not be interested in.

I also respect the commissioners' right to ultimately decide the direction that a league takes, especially when the current rules work. This is a great league, and that starts with having a great commissioner.