Can someone please clarify

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
acerfc
Rookie

Can someone please clarify

Post by acerfc » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:43 pm

OK, so after reading a couple of posts, I felt as if it was ok to drop my one year players as I will not be tagging any of them. Was I correct in making that assumption.

Secondly, it looks like people have started to drop guys with more then 1 year left on a contract. Does that mean that they get hit with a cap fee or something. I know it has all been discussed but some of it is over my head to be honest. I just try to follow along the best I can.

Can someone do the math for me. If I dropped Lundy or Gore, how would that affect me for the future if it does at all.

Just trying to better my 2nd place finish this year

bonscott
Hall of Famer
Favorite NFL Team: Chicago Bears
Team Name: Amish Rakefighters

Re: Can someone please clarify

Post by bonscott » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:19 pm

acerfc wrote:OK, so after reading a couple of posts, I felt as if it was ok to drop my one year players as I will not be tagging any of them. Was I correct in making that assumption.
Correct, drop all the 1 year players you don't plan to tag. And even then if you decide not to tag a 1 year player they will be dropped from your team anyway.
Secondly, it looks like people have started to drop guys with more then 1 year left on a contract. Does that mean that they get hit with a cap fee or something. I know it has all been discussed but some of it is over my head to be honest. I just try to follow along the best I can.

Can someone do the math for me. If I dropped Lundy or Gore, how would that affect me for the future if it does at all.
Sure. For example I dropped Rudi Johnson who was 10.025 million at 3 years. He sucked this year and looks to be on his last leg so he's not worth keeping (to me). To drop him I took a 50% cap hit this year which doesn't matter anymore since the year is over. We have until Feb 15th to drop guys and take that 50% hit in the 2007 season so now is the time to do it. Because he is a 3 year player I take a 25% hit (or around 2.5 million) in 2008. That does hurt but I get 7.5 million of my cap freed up by doing this and that's why I did it. I need to retool big time.

For you:
Dropping Lundy is a no brainer unless you feel he might have an impact somewhere in the next couple years cause he's cheap. I have the same question with Greg Jones. But I'm going to hold onto him to see what he does unless I need the room for a better player.

Anyway, dropping Lundy will cause you a 25% cap hit in 2008 - All of 106,250. So it's cheap.

Gore will cost you a 2.5 million cap hit in 2008.
Which means you drop 10 million in salary and take a 2.5 million hit which gives you 7.5 million freed up. Pretty much the same numbers I had with Rudi. Only difference is that Gore is actually good so you'll have a choice to make there with Gore: Is 10 million too much for a starting RB on your team? Can you trade him? Or do you cut your losses like I did with Rudi if you feel he's not worth the 10 million?

Good luck!
Scott

acerfc
Rookie

Post by acerfc » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:31 pm

As always, I appreciate the reply Amish. I wasnt planning on dropping Gore FWIW, I just wanted to understand the concept. Not even sure Ill drop Lundy. I was a fan
If I only would have started the Detroit D, I would be the 2007 Dynasty champion. Damn you New Orleans D

In 08, I lost in the playoffs to Antonio Bryants career game and amazing TD grab (lost by .4). Actually it was one catch

Dangerzone
Rookie

Post by Dangerzone » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:58 am

When I look at the Salary Adjustments.....why do some players show like $5 next to their names instead of a salary?

And in my salary adj area.....is that adjusted once when our 08 season begins or is it being adjusted periodically from now until the 08 season starts?

Seems like I had one of the lowest amts of money....but everyone still has more cap room than me! LOL

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:11 am

Dangerzone wrote:When I look at the Salary Adjustments.....why do some players show like $5 next to their names instead of a salary?
Hmmm, I don't see this myself. Perhaps your browser isn't showing the (R) tag properly for some reason? If you can point out a particular example...
And in my salary adj area.....is that adjusted once when our 08 season begins or is it being adjusted periodically from now until the 08 season starts?
We are still in 2007 season until Feb 15th. Any player dropped now gets a 50% hit in the current season, which is still 2007. But any salary adjustments for this season are wiped clean once the 2008 season starts. Thus the advantage of dropping a guy now if you want to recover the salary as the only hit you'll take in 2008 is if you have multiple years on their contract. If you take a look at the cap hits spreadsheet the number there is what you will start out with as a salary adjustment for the 2008 season on Feb 15th. Any players you drop from then on will be just like it was in 07, you'll take a 50% hit in 2008 along with a hit in 2009 if they have 2 years or more left on their contract.
Scott

Dangerzone
Rookie

Post by Dangerzone » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:56 am

Travis Henry and Dunn...on Pigskins Salary adjustment area shows $4 for one player and $2 for another player....the rest of his salary adjustment players show full monies.

You asked for an example...do you see something different?

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:04 am

I'm looking at his roster and I don't see this. I just see Salary adjustments with the amount of 9,775,000.

EDIT: Oh, now I see what you're talking about. The Salary Adjustments text is actually a link to more details. I've never noticed that before.

I'd guess it's a display error and actually means 2 million something and 4 million something. I'll report it to MFL.
Scott

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:57 am

UPDATE: I submitted a ticket to MFL and it was indeed a display bug and it is now fixed.
Scott

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 pm

bonscott wrote:I'm looking at his roster and I don't see this. I just see Salary adjustments with the amount of 9,775,000.

EDIT: Oh, now I see what you're talking about. The Salary Adjustments text is actually a link to more details. I've never noticed that before.

I'd guess it's a display error and actually means 2 million something and 4 million something. I'll report it to MFL.
I never notice this before either. Pretty sweet report. Looks like you were right bonscott and its now fixed.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

acerfc
Rookie

Post by acerfc » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:52 pm

What is the last date to drop players so that they will affect this season
If I only would have started the Detroit D, I would be the 2007 Dynasty champion. Damn you New Orleans D

In 08, I lost in the playoffs to Antonio Bryants career game and amazing TD grab (lost by .4). Actually it was one catch

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:11 pm

acerfc wrote:What is the last date to drop players so that they will affect this season
Important Dates
•February 1st is the deadline to purchase your team for the following season.
•February 15th start of the new season.
•February 1st -15nd Tagging Period
•February 16th-28th(29th) teams may make offers to tagged players.
•March 1st -7th teams must match any offer on a tagged player, or lose the player.
•March 15th 9am PT off season FA period will begin. This date is contingent upon MFL opening up the new year's league web site.
•Early May, one week after the NFL Draft, we'll hold our Rookie Draft
•3rd sunday in August 11:59pm PT teams must declare contract years for all rookies drafted in May.
•3rd sunday in August 11:59pm PT teams must also cut their rosters down to the 22 maximum on the active roster.
•One day before the kickoff of the NFL season the off season FA period will conclude.
•The friday before Week 10 at 11:59pm PT is our league trading deadline.
•After the conclusion of Week 16 the in-season Free Agency period will end.
•February 14th 11:59pm PT is the last day to release players in the current season.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...