When is a player available for waivers?

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler
Favorite NFL Team: Kansas City Chiefs
Team Name: Wascawy Wabits

When is a player available for waivers?

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 am

This was brought up in chat yesterday by Geeks due to the Flacco pickup after getting dropped on Tues...
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 8.04.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 8.04.50 AM.png (83.3 KiB) Viewed 14009 times
This was last week w/ BTP dropping HOU on Weds, and then being claimed in waivers the same night
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 8.05.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 8.05.21 AM.png (76.25 KiB) Viewed 14009 times
Are drops AFTER the waiver run locked until the next week?
Or are drops BEFORE and AFTER supposed to be locked until the next week?

This is from the league rules
* All dropped players during the week from either period are locked until Sunday 10:015am (and thus have to go thru a bidding period first).
They were dropped during the week... But they were dropped after FCFS closed and before the WW run ... So do they qualify as being required to be locked until the following week's WW run?

I remember there was an issue last year(?) with a WW run that BTP tried to do because things wouldn't calculate properly due to the players being dropped at the WW run, so the solution was that the drops were needing to occur before the waivers ran to ensure that there would have been enough cap room to submit multiple bids.

yugimoto
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Tennessee Titans
Team Name: Dark Magicians of Chaos

Re: When is a player available for waivers?

Post by yugimoto » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 am

Holy Schnikes!!! I did not know Houston had been dropped the same week I picked them up. The system allowed the waiver submission so I had presumed Houston had been dropped in a previous waiver period. :dunno:

If this transaction needs to be reversed I am OK with that, but it does have larger ramifications as I played them last week and they scored significant points (27 points) which garnered me a victory.

If I was not supposed to have them in the first place and the transaction should be reversed then it would seem only fair that the weekly results should be fixed as well.

I am open to whatever the league wants to do for this.

DMOC

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:29 am

We arent going to reverse it. What we can do is look to see how to prevent it in the future.

This is related to MFLs new and not so improved waiver system. I just dont want to cause another issue unintentionally.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 am

braven112 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:29 am
We arent going to reverse it. What we can do is look to see how to prevent it in the future.

This is related to MFLs new and not so improved waiver system. I just dont want to cause another issue unintentionally.
I agree here. Could be too messy to retroactively reverse that transaction. I don't think a contract should be awarded in this instance tho and they should remain on a 1yr deal.

Not sure how Flacco would be handled. Can it be reversed since games haven't occurred yet? Same as previous, I don't think a contract should be awarded if he remains on Dangsters past this season due to this new bug in MFL.

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:09 am

Everything has to stand including whatever contracts. I asked everyone to double check the setup prior to the start of the season as well. I doubt its the first time its happened this year.

In order to get it right going forward. If we lock dropped players till sunday what else is going to break? Anyone else doing blind bidding with fcfs in other MFL leagues?

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 am

braven112 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:09 am
Everything has to stand including whatever contracts. I asked everyone to double check the setup prior to the start of the season as well. I doubt its the first time its happened this year.

In order to get it right going forward. If we lock dropped players till sunday what else is going to break? Anyone else doing blind bidding with fcfs in other MFL leagues?
Looking at the previous waiver runs, I'm pretty sure those 2 are the only instances where this has happened so far

yugimoto
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Tennessee Titans
Team Name: Dark Magicians of Chaos

Post by yugimoto » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am

They way we have waivers setup in my league is that once a player is dropped, they are locked until the next blind bid run. Blind bidding starts Sundays at 10AM Pacific and goes to Thursday 8AM Pacific. FCFS immediately starts after the Blind Bid process is complete (8AM Pacific) and concludes by Sundays 10AM Pacific. We also have a rule that a player dropped in one week cannot be picked up until the next blind bidding period (i.e., the following week)

Issue I now see as I look back at previous transactions is that if a player is dropped prior to the completion of the blind bid window (say they were dropped on Tuesday), then when the FCFS window opens they are eligible to be picked up as they system "unlocks" them. Not sure how to fix that with the current MFL setup - very frustrating "new" system.

Cybergeek
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Philadelphia Eagles
Team Name: Gridiron Geeks

Post by Cybergeek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:25 pm

braven112 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:09 am

Below was pulled directly from the Constitution:

"* All dropped players during the week from either period are locked until Sunday 10:015am (and thus have to go thru a bidding period first)."

Flacco is not eligible to be picked up this week. I dropped him based on the existing rules, thinking that I could attempt to pick him back up next week. I don't believe that a setting on the league website should supersede the written rules. Especially, when we all know that the waiver "upgrade" from MFL is so different than what we are used to. Had I known that I could disregard the rules and put a waiver claim, I would have won him back.

I questioned this pickup immediately after waivers were processed. IMO, the transaction should be reversed.

Cybergeek
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Philadelphia Eagles
Team Name: Gridiron Geeks

Post by Cybergeek » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:32 am

I just dropped Mike Tolbert only to see if I could pick him back up, but he was locked and could not be picked up FCFS. The settings must allow players dropped before waivers are processed to be claimed.

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Ah, I was wondering where Houston DST went after I saw them cut. Very un :cooldude:

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 am

Since it seems this bug only affects players dropped from sunday through Wednesday. What if we added a calendar event to block players from being dropped during this period?

I think this would be possible. Assuming it is possible, what would be the downside?

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 am

braven112 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 am
Since it seems this bug only affects players dropped from sunday through Wednesday. What if we added a calendar event to block players from being dropped during this period?

I think this would be possible. Assuming it is possible, what would be the downside?
Only thing I could think of would be this issue that we came across a couple years back: http://www.theleague.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1856

I dunno how often this would occur tho?

Can these drops/incorrect additions not be adjusted fairly easily by manual intervention? I can't imagine it happening very often moving forward, especially now that's it's been brought to attention. Could probably test a different drop setting in the offseason (like the lock til Sunday thing)?

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:29 pm

braven112 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 am
Assuming it is possible, what would be the downside?
Situations like this week where I have very little caproom and a K and DST on the same bye.

Right now I have the flexibility to see how the morning games play out and possibly make moves based on that. If I can't drop guys on Sun or Mon that limits that flexibility if my roster is at the max.

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Manually processing waivers isn't something I'm going to do. Some weeks it may be straightforward, if there are multiple bids by different teams though, it gets complicated really quickly.

The only purpose of the rule is to give everyone a fair shot at picking up the dropped player. As long as everyone has a day or 2 that should be plenty of time.

@lb we could change the no drops day to monday night as well. I'm not sure i understand your scenario though. What is the advantage of waiting on the results since adding players isn't possible? Right now you can only drop players from Sunday to Wed, right?

I could see an issue come up if you have a player on the practice squad and the only way to activate them is to drop a player first.

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Looks like i cant prevent drops without also restricting waiver claims in the settings any more either.

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Scott (Amish) reached out to me regarding our waivers, his league has the same waiver setup as ours. I think it should work like we want now. :sweet:

Now players that are dropped should be locked until the following Sunday at 10am PT/1pm ET.