2020 Format

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

2020 Format

Post by braven112 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:44 pm

This is kind of an offshoot of this thread but here I want to specifically discuss the format that we use this season to determine a champion...

So it looks like we'll have some sort of season but I'm not confident that we won't see the schedule altered in some way, at some point, in some way that none of us will foresee.

Curious to get some feedback on how we should handle it or at least define what we think are the most important things to determine a fair champion when we don't know for sure how things are going to turn out. Alternatively what if everything does go on as normal and no games are canceled.

Here are a few thoughts or topics to discus if the NFL does alter the schedule...

What happens if one team has an outbreak and they have to cancel their game(s) for x number of weeks? (Miami Marlins)
What if a team has to cancel their season (similar to 2 MLS teams who had to withdraw from the MLS is back tourney)
Should we have playoffs? What if they just have to cancel the season in the middle? (MLB maybe)
What if they postpone part of the season till spring? (Colleges and High schools are already doing this)

One idea that I wanted to throw out their that seems like a good solution for the uncertainty is to use All-Play record to determine the champion, at least as a backup. Especially in the event of an abrupt end to the season.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

bocious
Veteran
Team Name: Midwestside Connection

Re: 2020 Format

Post by bocious » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 pm

All-play seems like a good idea. On the other hand, a terrible but entertaining idea is, if a player gets infected with covid, that owner forfeits the week because their team is under quarantine. I mean, we're trying to keep this as real as possible, right? :goteam:

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler
Favorite NFL Team: Kansas City Chiefs
Team Name: Wascawy Wabits

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:48 am

I don't think we'll have any perfect solution, especially in the instances where teams have to drop out or their games delayed.
What happens if one team has an outbreak and they have to cancel their game(s) for x number of weeks? (Miami Marlins)
No idea how we would handle this scenario... It would be impossible to manage and schedule for if a team has to make up games after the typical league schedule. I think you may just have to consider the players of that team on BYE for the time they are being quarantined from the league.
What if a team has to cancel their season (similar to 2 MLS teams who had to withdraw from the MLS is back tourney)
This would suck, but I think you'd have to maybe consider all those players as being on IR?
Should we have playoffs? What if they just have to cancel the season in the middle? (MLB maybe)
I think we should do the season as we normally do but maybe have a certain # of games played to make it count as a legit season? If the season gets cancelled and we hit that mark, we could use All Play and maybe just do a portion of the league winnings and roll it over to next season. Ideas with the $ that gets rolled over could be to make the next season's fees cheaper, turn it into a super pot for the 2021/2022 league champ, or make additional season prize of some sort that we don't currently award?

If we don't hit that # of games, roll it all over to next season for league fees.
What if they postpone part of the season till spring? (Colleges and High schools are already doing this)
I think we'd just postpone our season to match what's happening w/ the NFL?

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler
Favorite NFL Team: Kansas City Chiefs
Team Name: Wascawy Wabits

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:02 am

Something not brought up is draft picks.
I would assume we would handle draft picks ordering the same as the payouts if the fantasy season is cancelled / shortened.

If we don't hit a certain # of games to do payouts, what would we do for draft order?
Should we have some sort of weighted lottery like the NBA? Our teams can change SOOOO much from season to season thanks to our format that I don't think using league standings from the previous season would be very good here.

With payouts, what would take precedence to determine payouts? Would we still do the weekly high scorer? Would we still reward all of those different other payouts outside of the playoff payouts?

bocious
Veteran
Team Name: Midwestside Connection

Post by bocious » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:15 am

Wascawy Wabbits wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:02 am
Something not brought up is draft picks.
I would assume we would handle draft picks ordering the same as the payouts if the fantasy season is cancelled / shortened.
I mentioned in one of the other threads, my inclination is to wait and see how the NFL addresses draft order. My thinking is, if the season gets cancelled before the Super Bowl, the billionaire owners are going to spend countless hours debating how to handle the draft. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm inclined to sit back go along with whatever they decide.

braven112
Site Admin
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:14 am

Draft order will depend on how we handle the schedule. But in the event of a semi normal season we'll just keep the same draft order format as normal. If we have to use All-play record because the season is cancelled then we would replace record with All-play.

I hadn't thought of a minimum number of games but I'm open to thoughts especially if we had something silly like a one or two game season. Outside of that I would expect we'll treat the season as a normal one in regards to payouts.

I would expect we'll keep payouts the same but with the weekly high score, I figure the easiest way would be to take the all the weekly high score money => $39/number of weeks we actually end up playing.

But we'll definitely have to lean on the NFL on see how they handle things for some of this.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...