Question Rookie Assignment

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
Dangerzone
Rookie

Question Rookie Assignment

Post by Dangerzone » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:41 am

What if I did not have the salary I needed to obtain the rookie pick I earned....I have the 1:02 and would need to pay 5.5 mil for my rookie.

If I only had 3.2 mil to put toward that....would I just be skipped and the 1:03 actually moves up?

OR AM I FORCED TO TAKE IT? I obviously have the salary ...but I am asking in relative terms how this would be handled?

....also what if I just didnt want my pick but couldnt find a fair way to trade it away? AM I FORCED TO KEEP IT....or can I forfiet it without any penalty?

Thanks.

bonscott
Hall of Famer
Favorite NFL Team: Chicago Bears
Team Name: Amish Rakefighters

Post by bonscott » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:04 am

From the rules I believe you are forced to draft that rookie. If you do not have the cap space and don't make room to sign the rookie then the rookie is dropped from your team and you take a 50% hit. I am unsure if that takes place right away or if you have all summer that you could be "over" the cap before you sign the rookie.

The rules to specifiy you have until the 3rd week of August to actually sign your rookie to a contract. For example I have the 2.17 pick. This rookie I draft may not even be on a roster come training camp. So I can sit on this guy until August to see if he is even on an NFL team. If not I could drop him with just a 50% hit, which on 425K isn't a big amount.

The clarification for the commish though is how long after the rookie draft do you have to make salary cap room to make the rookies fit.
Scott

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:11 pm

You have to make room to sign your rookies prior to the draft. If you don't, you'll receive a cap penalty equal to half of the slotted salary.

You don't have any time to fit the rookie under the cap. What you do have is time to decided how long you want to sign that player for. The player will be signed to a minimum of a 1 year contract but you have until August to decide if you want to sign them to a longer contract.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Dangerzone
Rookie

Post by Dangerzone » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:25 pm

Well that sux. :shock:

Achon44
Pro Bowler
Favorite NFL Team: Cleveland Browns
Team Name: Bring the Pain

Post by Achon44 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:53 pm

braven112 wrote:You have to make room to sign your rookies prior to the draft. If you don't, you'll receive a cap penalty equal to half of the slotted salary.
What if a team doesn't even have the cap space for the 50% penalty?

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:10 pm

Achon44 wrote:
braven112 wrote:You have to make room to sign your rookies prior to the draft. If you don't, you'll receive a cap penalty equal to half of the slotted salary.
Then you have to release a player. Its really no different than the NFL, if your team is over the cap you have to release someone to get under the cap. You have half the offseason to get under the cap prior to the draft.

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Achon44
Pro Bowler

Post by Achon44 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:11 pm

braven112 wrote:
Achon44 wrote:
Then you have to release a player. Its really no different than the NFL, if your team is over the cap you have to release someone to get under the cap. You have half the offseason to get under the cap prior to the draft.
Or half the offseason to put yourself in salary cap hell prior to the draft. :wink:

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Achon44 wrote:
braven112 wrote:
Achon44 wrote: What if a team doesn't even have the cap space for the 50% penalty?
Or half the offseason to put yourself in salary cap hell prior to the draft. :wink:
Very true!! Your choice, please do the latter. :lol:

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:39 am

Achon44 wrote:
braven112 wrote:
Achon44 wrote: What if a team doesn't even have the cap space for the 50% penalty?
I'm already in salary cap hell. :verysad: :cry:
Scott

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:22 am

Can the rookies be drafted straight to the Practice Squad? In other words can I sign 20 players on my roster and then draft my 2 rookies straight to the PR or can I only have 18 players signed before the rookie draft so they are signed and then moved to the PR.
Scott

Achon44
Pro Bowler

Post by Achon44 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:19 am

bonscott wrote:Can the rookies be drafted straight to the Practice Squad? In other words can I sign 20 players on my roster and then draft my 2 rookies straight to the PR or can I only have 18 players signed before the rookie draft so they are signed and then moved to the PR.
Great question

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 pm

bonscott wrote:Can the rookies be drafted straight to the Practice Squad? In other words can I sign 20 players on my roster and then draft my 2 rookies straight to the PR or can I only have 18 players signed before the rookie draft so they are signed and then moved to the PR.
Yeah that sounds fine to me. I'll clarify that in the constitution.

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Just to note that technically with MFL you can't draft a player directly to the PR. What would need to be done is to temporarily expand rosters by 1 (from 20 to 21) and then as a rookie is drafted the team that drafted him can put him on the PR. After the draft roster size goes back to 20 after teams get their rookies on the PR if it would put them over 20. Make sense?
Scott

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:53 pm

bonscott wrote:Just to note that technically with MFL you can't draft a player directly to the PR. What would need to be done is to temporarily expand rosters by 1 (from 20 to 21) and then as a rookie is drafted the team that drafted him can put him on the PR. After the draft roster size goes back to 20 after teams get their rookies on the PR if it would put them over 20. Make sense?
No, I don't get it. :wink: :D

Dangerzone
Rookie

Post by Dangerzone » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:10 am

I get it...its kinda a temporary spot to hold the PR player since MFL wont let us draft one and place the player in that category right away. Once the draft is over then the player would go in the PR spot which also would reduce the active roster by one player and then the temporary increase in the roster size can be reduced back to its original #.

:shock:

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Dangerzone wrote:I get it...its kinda a temporary spot to hold the PR player since MFL wont let us draft one and place the player in that category right away. Once the draft is over then the player would go in the PR spot which also would reduce the active roster by one player and then the temporary increase in the roster size can be reduced back to its original #.

:shock:
I guess I should have use this Emoticon in my previous post.

:)

yugimoto
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Tennessee Titans
Team Name: Dark Magicians of Chaos

Re:

Post by yugimoto » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:49 pm

braven112 wrote:
So let me make sure I understand. Bascially, you are saying that once the FA period opens up on the 15th, owners can go ahead and plan to only have to set aside 50% of the Rookie salaries of the rookies they have to draft since we can draft them straight to the practive squad when we draft in late May? Meaning that if my rookie draft pick costs me say $2,000,000, I actually only need to plan to have $1,000,000 available by the time we get to May since I can draft them directly to the Practive Squad and practice squad players only count 50% towards the salary cap.

Is that correct? If so, something about that does not seem right, but OK if that is the rule.

braven112
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by braven112 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 pm

yugimoto wrote:
braven112 wrote:
So let me make sure I understand. Bascially, you are saying that once the FA period opens up on the 15th, owners can go ahead and plan to only have to set aside 50% of the Rookie salaries of the rookies they have to draft since we can draft them straight to the practive squad when we draft in late May? Meaning that if my rookie draft pick costs me say $2,000,000, I actually only need to plan to have $1,000,000 available by the time we get to May since I can draft them directly to the Practive Squad and practice squad players only count 50% towards the salary cap.

Is that correct? If so, something about that does not seem right, but OK if that is the rule.
That's a great question!I hadn't really thought of doing that and i agree it doesn't seem right. The intention of the rules is that every team be required to have 2mil in cap space if they had a draft pick that cost 2mil, and I didn't think anyone should ever have to drop players to get to 18 so that they have enough rosters spots for the 2 extra draft picks.

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Re: Question Rookie Assignment

Post by bonscott » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:52 am

Yes, interesting question. I agree that everyone needs to have the full salary amount for rookies available at draft, even if they plan to draft them to the PR.

Technically you can't draft someone directly to the PR anyway so yes, they will have to have the full 2 million as given in the example.

I think what will probably happen is that when the rookie draft comes up the Commish will temporarily expand rosters to 22 (plus the 2 PR). When the draft is over you have say until the end of that week to get yourself back down to 20 total plus 2 PR and then the commish will put rosters back to 20. Commish will need to keep an eye on anybody bidding on a FA that puts them over 20 but I doubt this will happen.

This will allow teams even at a full 20 to draft their 2 rookies and put them right to the PR if they wish. By doing this it forces everyone to draft the rookie at their full salary but still put them on the PR right away even if they are full 20 strong on their team.

And for teams like me that have 3 picks, well, I can only have 19 on my team as I need room for that extra pick because I can only have 2 on the PR anyway.

How does that sound?
Scott