Rookie Draft Question

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
Dangerzone
Rookie

Rookie Draft Question

Post by Dangerzone » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:23 am

If I use my #2 Rookie pick and I know I have to spend the bigger cap money on him, when it comes time to draft do I have to have enough money to buy him EVEN if I dont use him this year and put him directly on Taxi Squad?

I need to understand this before I start bidding on players March 15. Thanks.

bonscott
Hall of Famer
Favorite NFL Team: Chicago Bears
Team Name: Amish Rakefighters

Re: Auction starts at 6PM PST on 3/15

Post by bonscott » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:40 am

Dangerzone wrote:If I use my #2 Rookie pick and I know I have to spend the bigger cap money on him, when it comes time to draft do I have to have enough money to buy him EVEN if I dont use him this year and put him directly on Taxi Squad?

I need to understand this before I start bidding on players March 15. Thanks.
Correct. You need the entire amount free to draft. So basically take what your free cap space is now, subtract what you need to sign your rookies and then you'll have what you can bid on free agents. I believe the rules state what happens if you don't have enough.

Here is the rule:
All teams must have enough cap room to sign their Rookies prior to the draft . If the team doesn't make room for the player prior to the draft, they will be forced to sign and drop the player and take the standard 50% cap hit based on a one year contract for the slotted rookie salary scale.
So if you don't have enough for the #2 pick you'll still draft a guy there and if you don't make room by dropping someone else then it sounds like after the draft the commish will drop your pick and you'll take a 50% hit. I think it would be better to drop someone else to make room or trade it away if you don't have enough cap space.
Scott

Achon44
Pro Bowler
Favorite NFL Team: Cleveland Browns
Team Name: Bring the Pain

Post by Achon44 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:56 am

bonscott wrote:Here is the rule:
All teams must have enough cap room to sign their Rookies prior to the draft . If the team doesn't make room for the player prior to the draft, they will be forced to sign and drop the player and take the standard 50% cap hit based on a one year contract for the slotted rookie salary scale.
So if you don't have enough for the #2 pick you'll still draft a guy there and if you don't make room by dropping someone else then it sounds like after the draft the commish will drop your pick and you'll take a 50% hit. I think it would be better to drop someone else to make room or trade it away if you don't have enough cap space.
:2cents: I feel this should be done immediately following the pick and not ant the end of the draft, so the player goes back into the draft pool. I don't think we'll ever see it happen, but you never know.

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:06 am

Yea, you probably need another clarification on this one. When exactly does this happen.
Scott

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:24 pm

Achon44 wrote:
bonscott wrote:Here is the rule:
:2cents: I feel this should be done immediately following the pick and not ant the end of the draft, so the player goes back into the draft pool. I don't think we'll ever see it happen, but you never know.
Yeah I think that is probably the best way to handle it. Though if it does actually happen we'll have to pause the draft so I can adjust everything accordingly, before that same team drafts again later in the draft either in the second round or later in the first they'll need to have that cap hit applied before there turn.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Re: Rookie Draft Question

Post by bonscott » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:42 am

And actually we'll know ahead of time if it might be a problem so the commish can dog those that might have this problem to get enough room under the cap.
Scott

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:54 pm

bonscott wrote:And actually we'll know ahead of time if it might be a problem so the commish can dog those that might have this problem to get enough room under the cap.
And I WILL dog on you. :angry:

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

yugimoto
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Tennessee Titans
Team Name: Dark Magicians of Chaos

Post by yugimoto » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:21 pm

braven112 wrote:
bonscott wrote:And actually we'll know ahead of time if it might be a problem so the commish can dog those that might have this problem to get enough room under the cap.
Another option, albeit not a praticularly good one for the commish, but just prior to the FA window opening up the commish can adjust our salaries down by an amout equal to the value of the draft picks we own. This way the system will assist by not allowing anyone to overbid during FA. Then once we are ready for the Rookie draft the commish re-adjusts our salaries.

One thing that would have to be monitored is that when a trade occurs that includes draft picks between March15th and the rookie draft, the commish would have to adjust accordingly.

:2cents:

LV Elite
Veteran
Team Name: Las Vegas Elite

Post by LV Elite » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:30 am

yugimoto wrote:
braven112 wrote:
Another option, albeit not a praticularly good one for the commish, but just prior to the FA window opening up the commish can adjust our salaries down by an amout equal to the value of the draft picks we own. This way the system will assist by not allowing anyone to overbid during FA. Then once we are ready for the Rookie draft the commish re-adjusts our salaries.

One thing that would have to be monitored is that when a trade occurs that includes draft picks between March15th and the rookie draft, the commish would have to adjust accordingly.

:2cents:

Thats a good idea, but like you said might be alot for the commish to do and its a lot of hand holding so to speak. All owners have to take ownership of their own affairs and just take a calculater out and add up the money for all draft picks you have right now, then take that number and minus it from your "Cap Room Available" number. This will give you the MAX you can spend on freeagents! We all know this though right? :dunno:

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:10 am

LV Elite wrote: All owners have to take ownership of their own affairs and just take a calculater out and add up the money for all draft picks you have right now, then take that number and minus it from your "Cap Room Available" number. This will give you the MAX you can spend on freeagents! We all know this though right? :dunno:
I agree, I think with this group of owners, we won't have to worry about it.

Dangerzone
Rookie

Post by Dangerzone » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:16 am

I do not think it is a good idea to adjust a teams salary today and allow him to only spend what money he has left due to what draft picks he has to cover later.

ONE: What if I trade my 1.02 sometime, that would mean I suffered not being able to spend more today because you capped me....but in reality I couldve spent more cause my intention is to trade the pick anyway by our rookie draft time.

TWO: I may miss out on spending $$ during FA now, but do plan on dropping a player before the rookie draft to make room. So I should be able to spend all I want now, but keeping in mind I have to make room somehow.

THREE: Its my money as low as it might be....let me spend it! LOL

Achon44
Pro Bowler

Post by Achon44 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:44 am

Dangerzone wrote:I do not think it is a good idea to adjust a teams salary today and allow him to only spend what money he has left due to what draft picks he has to cover later.

ONE: What if I trade my 1.02 sometime, that would mean I suffered not being able to spend more today because you capped me....but in reality I couldve spent more cause my intention is to trade the pick anyway by our rookie draft time.

TWO: I may miss out on spending $$ during FA now, but do plan on dropping a player before the rookie draft to make room. So I should be able to spend all I want now, but keeping in mind I have to make room somehow.

:goodposting:

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:54 am

Dangerzone wrote:I do not think it is a good idea to adjust a teams salary today and allow him to only spend what money he has left due to what draft picks he has to cover later.

That's exactly why the rules are such. :sweet:

LV Elite
Veteran
Team Name: Las Vegas Elite

Post by LV Elite » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:59 am

That is good points made and I think I agree. Right now there is no cap on us for free agent spending. Spend what you may, just be aware of your situation by draft day. I think the point of the matter is, the day we draft like a few hours before hand or even the day before the draft, teams need to make the proper adjustments to their team if needed and required to be able to sign ALL their draft picks. This gives plenty of time for trading and/or dropping players before the draft. Maybe there should be some type of $$$ penalty for not having your affairs in order before the draft starts. Like a fine of 1 mil or something. Just throwing some thoughts off the top of my head as I type here.....

Achon44
Pro Bowler

Post by Achon44 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:49 pm

Commish,

Seeing the off season unlimited roster limit rule does not go into effect until next year we will need at least one open roster spot to draft players before we can move them to the Taxi Squad, correct? In other words no more than 19 players on our active rosters before we make our pick?

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:01 am

No, we will open up the rosters during the draft You can draft players straight to the practice squad so you can have 20 players signed before the draft.

Achon44
Pro Bowler

Post by Achon44 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:10 am

braven112 wrote:No, we will open up the rosters during the draft You can draft players straight to the practice squad so you can have 20 players signed before the draft.
That's cool with me, but doesn't that go against what we've discussed and/or voted on?

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:52 am

Achon44 wrote:
braven112 wrote:No, we will open up the rosters during the draft You can draft players straight to the practice squad so you can have 20 players signed before the draft.
That's cool with me, but doesn't that go against what we've discussed and/or voted on?
We were already going to do the rookie draft thing because the rules state that you can draft rookies directly to the practice squad (thus you can have a full roster of 20 and still draft your 2 rookies). However, MFL technically doesn't let you do that. Thus "behind the scenes" the commish will open up rosters just during the rookie draft so that teams can draft their rookies and can place them on the practice squad should they choose to do so (or have to to remain at 20 or less on their regular roster). I'd guess the commish will give us a day or so after the rookie draft is over to get our rosters in order at which point he'll lock it back down to 20.

The proposal that passed for next year was to just simply lift roster limits during the offseason so that the commish doesn't have to deal with all that. Gives teams a bit more flexibility as well in the offseason with the downside that they will take cap hits to get back under the limits once the season starts if they chose to go over the limit.
Scott

Achon44
Pro Bowler

Post by Achon44 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:17 am

bonscott wrote:
Achon44 wrote:
We were already going to do the rookie draft thing because the rules state that you can draft rookies directly to the practice squad (thus you can have a full roster of 20 and still draft your 2 rookies). However, MFL technically doesn't let you do that. Thus "behind the scenes" the commish will open up rosters just during the rookie draft so that teams can draft their rookies and can place them on the practice squad should they choose to do so (or have to to remain at 20 or less on their regular roster). I'd guess the commish will give us a day or so after the rookie draft is over to get our rosters in order at which point he'll lock it back down to 20.

The proposal that passed for next year was to just simply lift roster limits during the offseason so that the commish doesn't have to deal with all that. Gives teams a bit more flexibility as well in the offseason with the downside that they will take cap hits to get back under the limits once the season starts if they chose to go over the limit.
Would that be anything like the 24hr contract years rule? :whistle:

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:15 am

Achon44 wrote:

Sir, dust off your Dynasty: The League handbook and read a little closer, we've discussed this at length already. :D