Bid on multiple tagged players with extra picks

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
bonscott
Hall of Famer
Favorite NFL Team: Chicago Bears
Team Name: Amish Rakefighters

Bid on multiple tagged players with extra picks

Post by bonscott » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:03 am

Can't remember if we clarified this in the past, didn't see it in the constitution.

So for example I had two 2017 2nd rounders as of Feb 1st, am I allowed to bid on two different RFA2 tagged players, one for each pick? I believe we have said in the past that this is allowed.

Then the question of which pick would be used as compensation. I guess the highest pick perhaps goes to the highest salary player?
Scott

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler
Favorite NFL Team: Kansas City Chiefs
Team Name: Wascawy Wabits

Re: Bid on multiple tagged players with extra picks

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:36 am

I guess a similar question would be if I have a current 2nd, can I use that in place of a future 2nd?

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:34 am

Wascawy Wabbits wrote:I guess a similar question would be if I have a current 2nd, can I use that in place of a future 2nd?
This probably wouldn't apply actually...

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:22 pm

I don't see any issues with bidding on extra tagged players if we have the picks.
I guess the highest pick perhaps goes to the highest salary player?
That seems like a reasonable solution. The next question would be what counts as the highest pick when referring to future picks? Should we use the current years draft order for the future as well? Seems like that would be the easiest?
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Cybergeek
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Philadelphia Eagles
Team Name: Gridiron Geeks

Post by Cybergeek » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:39 pm

braven112 wrote:I don't see any issues with bidding on extra tagged players if we have the picks.
I guess the highest pick perhaps goes to the highest salary player?
That seems like a reasonable solution. The next question would be what counts as the highest pick when referring to future picks? Should we use the current years draft order for the future as well? Seems like that would be the easiest?
Sounds good. If you have the picks on Feb 1st to bid on multiple players, have at it. Use highest salary and current years draft order to determine which pick is used.

yugimoto
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Tennessee Titans
Team Name: Dark Magicians of Chaos

Post by yugimoto » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:28 am

So I am presuming that this question is about RFA option #2 only.

In that case, what about letting the person making the bid decide which 2nd round pick is going to be used on which RFA option #2 player? I think it would add to the strategy of bidding. They can specify which 2nd round pick is being used in the bid itself.

Another reason I bring this option up is that I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how we value which pick is higher in value since these are future year 2nd round picks, not current season picks.

:2cents:

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 am

yugimoto wrote:So I am presuming that this question is about RFA option #2 only.

In that case, what about letting the person making the bid decide which 2nd round pick is going to be used on which RFA option #2 player? I think it would add to the strategy of bidding. They can specify which 2nd round pick is being used in the bid itself.

Another reason I bring this option up is that I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how we value which pick is higher in value since these are future year 2nd round picks, not current season picks.

:2cents:
Now there is a good idea. :yippee:
Scott

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:25 pm

If you're bidding on multiple 2nds, why not letting the original owner decide on the pick based on their current WL record on what 2nd they'd want?

If you only bid on a single RFA2 and have multiple 2nds, then the pick you owned would be what's used

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Didn't we have a discussion not too long ago where we had to debate if you could even put in a bid on a tagged player if you didn't have your original pick? And if you had multiple picks if it was the OG or the highest that gets used?

Where did we end on that exactly?

TBH, I sort of think it should be like tagging, you only get one of each.

Achon44
Pro Bowler
Favorite NFL Team: Cleveland Browns
Team Name: Bring the Pain

Post by Achon44 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:39 pm

bonesman wrote:TBH, I sort of think it should be like tagging, you only get one of each.
TOTALLY AGREE. If we can only use the RFA #2 tag on one of our own free agents then we should only be able to sign away one free agent who was tagged with the RFA #2 tag.

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Looks like the discussion I was looking for is here: http://www.theleague.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=509

So, correct me if I'm wrong here. Right there we voted to amend to the rules to say: "The compensatory draft picks must be the original draft picks (or the next closest, draft pick that is higher that the original, is no longer owned) of the team that signed the tagged player."

Meaning... if your original pick was 2.5 and you traded it and now have the 2.10 instead, you are unable to use that pick to bid on the tagged player.

This rule would make bidding on multiple RFA#2's completely unfair as whomever finished worst this season wouldn't be able to bid on two unless they gave up a first. Also, it would be EXTREMELY difficult for those that finished with 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 also.... as you now have two people that have to get your original pick or better.

Unless we at some point changed the "original pick or better" rule when we modified compensation

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:12 pm

Ok, NM, it looks like we bumped out the compensation picks out a year, so the specifics there don't apply I guess. :dunno:

Achon44
Pro Bowler

Post by Achon44 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:41 pm

bonesman wrote:Looks like the discussion I was looking for is here: http://www.theleague.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=509

So, correct me if I'm wrong here. Right there we voted to amend to the rules to say: "The compensatory draft picks must be the original draft picks (or the next closest, draft pick that is higher that the original, is no longer owned) of the team that signed the tagged player."

Meaning... if your original pick was 2.5 and you traded it and now have the 2.10 instead, you are unable to use that pick to bid on the tagged player.

This rule would make bidding on multiple RFA#2's completely unfair as whomever finished worst this season wouldn't be able to bid on two unless they gave up a first. Also, it would be EXTREMELY difficult for those that finished with 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 also.... as you now have two people that have to get your original pick or better.

Unless we at some point changed the "original pick or better" rule when we modified compensation
If we are talking about future picks there wouldn't be any order to them; only which team originally owned.

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:14 am

Yea, it's a lot cleaner if we just limit it to you can only bid on one player per tag. I just don't recall if we had ever addressed it and it's a "thing" for me this year as I have two 2017 2nds and there are a ton of RFA2 tags out there. If we've never addressed it then I'd say I could only bid on just one RFA2 tag and we'd need a rule clarification (either way) for the future.
Scott

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:15 am

I think only being able to use our future 2nd for bids on RFA2s may be the best thing
If you want to make offers on 2 players tagged RFA2, you'd need to work out a trade with a league mate to acquire that player and trade for them.

If we're allowed to bid on multiple RFA2s, I would think that it makes the value of those future 2s really high depending on the players eligible for tagging

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:05 pm

bonscott wrote:Yea, it's a lot cleaner if we just limit it to you can only bid on one player per tag. I just don't recall if we had ever addressed it and it's a "thing" for me this year as I have two 2017 2nds and there are a ton of RFA2 tags out there. If we've never addressed it then I'd say I could only bid on just one RFA2 tag and we'd need a rule clarification (either way) for the future.
I think keeping it at one for now makes it much cleaner. We've never been able to in the past because originally you could only use your original picks for tagging. It's never been specifically disallowed because it wasn't possible anyway.

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:43 pm

What about transmission tags that take up no picks?

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:28 pm

We'll keep all of them at one for this year.

Achon44
Pro Bowler

Post by Achon44 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Personally I'd like to see it stay at one for all tags moving forward. The idea of tagging is for the team who owns the player to be able to keep that player, but they have to pay a premium. It's not let's see how many players can be signed by other teams...that's free agency.

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:42 pm

Gotta think we should be able to bid on as many transition players as we chose as long as we can fulfill the compensation.

:dunno:

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:26 am

bonesman wrote:Gotta think we should be able to bid on as many transition players as we chose as long as we can fulfill the compensation.

:dunno:
Very true, no restriction in place there.

The main point of the thread as a whole was to see if it was legal to bid on multiple tags as long as you had the picks. Looks like you can't and my brain was fuzzy that it was allowed in the past.
Scott