Roster Limits and Free Agent Acquisitions

Unsure how a rule works or just need some clarification??
griblets
Veteran
Favorite NFL Team: Los Angeles Rams
Team Name: Treasure Coast Swamp Bandits

Roster Limits and Free Agent Acquisitions

Post by griblets » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:36 am

Anyone else find it frustrating to have to drop a player from your full roster just to be able to bid on a free agent? What if I don't get the player? In that case, I've been forced to drop a player without acquiring another.

I'd like to suggest that we are allowed to bid or pickup players, even with a full roster. Upon award of the newly acquired player, we would have a certain amount of time (24 hours?) to bring the roster back into compliance.

bonscott
Hall of Famer
Favorite NFL Team: Chicago Bears
Team Name: Amish Rakefighters

Re: Roster Limits and Free Agent Acquisitions

Post by bonscott » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 am

Technically it's not possible as the auction doesn't work that way unless the roster limit was raised.

Once we get to blind bidding it'll be fine as you submit a waiver with a drop and the drop doesn't happen unless the waiver goes thru.

Could always end the auction with roster cut downs (no new auctions can be started, allow current auctions to finish) and then do weekly blind bidding from then until the start of the season instead. Would solve the problem. :beer:
Scott

braven112
Site Admin
Favorite NFL Team: Seattle Seahawks
Team Name: Pacific Pigskins

Post by braven112 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Yeah its not ideal at all but I'd rather at least have the option to add a player between the cut down date at the regular season.
by griblets » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:32 pm

I do kinda like the thought of ending the auction nominations on the cut down day and then do weekly blind bidding until the season starts. Would eliminate the problem of having to drop a guy for someone you may not win and still give teams a shot at adding players up until the season starts.
Scott

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Seems like a solid idea.

Couple things to think about that come to mind. What day would be the last day to bring up a player for the auction and when would the auction end? I could even change the day when I actually change the roster size on MFL, as well, so players brought up at the last minute could still be bid on?

Usually, when the commissioner has a good team, these are the kind of polls you see...

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler
Favorite NFL Team: Kansas City Chiefs
Team Name: Wascawy Wabits

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:36 pm

But if we did that...
We wouldn't have instances like recently where FRA dropped Pierre Thomas at $950k/2 and re-sign him thru the late auctions for $1.475m/2... Costing around $2m this season. :??:

Sorry dude. LBer :twisted: made me do it :whistle:

Be kinda nice if we did it kinda like the NFL. Following Week 3 of the pre-season, we need to get rosters down to 25 active. Auctions still happen between weeks 3 and 4 of the pre-season, would just need to see about getting the locks lifted sooner. Following week 4 of the pre-season, rosters need to get down to 22 active and BB / waivers starts.

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 am

Wascawy Wabbits wrote:But if we did that...
We wouldn't have instances like recently where FRA dropped Pierre Thomas at $950k/2 and re-sign him thru the late auctions for $1.475m/2... Costing around $2m this season. :??:

Sorry dude. LBer :twisted: made me do it :whistle:

Hahahaha... he either got a bad case of sellers/droppers remorse or got caught with his hand in the cookie jar trying to bid him up for someone else.

Which is it Jim? :p

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:32 pm

That was actually a case of missing the roster cutdown deadline so he had to drop the last 2 guys added.

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:30 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

That explains it

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Ahh...
That sucks :(
Was wondering why Benson was dropped then re-added to the team

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:43 pm

I thought we should bump this again to see if anyone has any last thoughts or concerns. Then vote on implementing this change before the 15th so it can go in effect this summer if it passes.

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:46 am

I do think the most simple way to do this is to consolidate deadlines:

No more auction nominations after the roster cut down deadline. All current auctions will continue until over. This in reality only moves this "no more auction nomination" deadline up by a week, no big deal.

Then run one blind bid waiver that concludes 1 day before the first Thursday night game, so have it run Wednesday evening. If you like have two blind bid waivers, one runs the weekend before Labor day and the other the day before the first game. This then gives every team a fair shot at any hot free agents that appear at the end of training camp as the NFL does their final cuts.

This keeps it simple and easy to understand and manage.
Scott

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 am

bonscott wrote:I do think the most simple way to do this is to consolidate deadlines:

No more auction nominations after the roster cut down deadline. All current auctions will continue until over. This in reality only moves this "no more auction nomination" deadline up by a week, no big deal.

Then run one blind bid waiver that concludes 1 day before the first Thursday night game, so have it run Wednesday evening. If you like have two blind bid waivers, one runs the weekend before Labor day and the other the day before the first game. This then gives every team a fair shot at any hot free agents that appear at the end of training camp as the NFL does their final cuts.

I think this is a good idea. Offer up a couple of BB opportunities prior to the start of the season after the roster cutdown day.

bonesman
League Champion*

Post by bonesman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Wascawy Wabbits wrote:
bonscott wrote:I do think the most simple way to do this is to consolidate deadlines:

I think this is a good idea. Offer up a couple of BB opportunities prior to the start of the season after the roster cutdown day.

Yup... I can dig it

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 pm

I like it.

bonscott
Hall of Famer

Post by bonscott » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:45 am

Make it so commish. I see no need for something like this needing a vote. If someone has a problem with it speak now or forever hold your peace.
Scott

braven112
Site Admin

Post by braven112 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:20 am

I adjusted the league calendar to account for this. I split the time from the Aug 17 deadline to the start of the season into 2 blind bidding waiver windows and moved the last day to bring a player up for auction to Aug 17.

August 17: 8:45PM PT / 11:45PM ET
Our major offseason league deadline now. Rookie Contracts, Last day to bring up players for the auction, Roster Limit.

August 26: 8:45PM PT / 11:45PM ET
New blind bidding deadline for the first window.

September 3 11:00AM PT / 2:00PM ET
Blind bidding deadline for the second window, and when the offseason auction officially ends.

September 4 is the start of the NFL season. #GoHawks

LV Elite
Veteran
Team Name: Las Vegas Elite

Post by LV Elite » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 am

bonesman wrote:
Wascawy Wabbits wrote:

Yup... I can dig it
I like this. Nice and simple.

Wascawy Wabbits
Pro Bowler

Post by Wascawy Wabbits » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 am

braven112 wrote:I adjusted the league calendar to account for this. I split the time from the Aug 17 deadline to the start of the season into 2 blind bidding waiver windows and moved the last day to bring a player up for auction to Aug 17.

August 17: 8:45PM PT / 11:45PM ET
Our major offseason league deadline now. Rookie Contracts, Last day to bring up players for the auction, Roster Limit.

August 26: 8:45PM PT / 11:45PM ET
New blind bidding deadline for the first window.

September 3 11:00AM PT / 2:00PM ET
Blind bidding deadline for the second window, and when the offseason auction officially ends.

September 4 is the start of the NFL season. #GoHawks
Looks good to me!

BarneyFife
League Champion*
Favorite NFL Team: Miami Dolphins
Team Name: Fire Ready Aim

Post by BarneyFife » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Missed the deadline and had to react... thus costing me more! :excited: